History - Early 19th Century
In 1836, application was made to build a new and much larger church than the existing one at Kilmore which had been built in 1630 on the site of an older building. This church had been heather-thatched until the mid-eighteenth century when it was roofed with local red sandstone. Over the years, various repairs were carried out, but by 1814 it was so ruinous that it became, ‘very dangerous for the people to assemble under the roof.’ Expensive repairs were carried out, but again by 1836, ‘the roof of the church is in such a bad state and the galleries so crazy, that another year can not be allowed to pass without having it pulled down.’
On the grounds of safety, an application to demolish the building was made, the ‘crazy’ galleries being all that prevented the inward leaning walls from collapsing, and because the building could only accommodate five hundred people, the application was granted, and the Earl of Seafield allocated a site for a new building six hundred metres west of Old Kilmore, in the lower end of Glen Urquhart.
Architects’ plans were prepared, for a church with spire, a Gothic church with a buttressed tower, and a plain building. The extra expense of the tower, estimated at four hundred and fifty pounds, was acceptable to the principal heritor, the Earl of Seafield, but one of the other heritors, Thomas Ogilvy of Corrimony, objected on the grounds that, ‘He did not see why he should pay towards the cost of a tower, just because it would improve the aspect from Balmacaan House’ which was Lord Seafield’s residence.